HEISGIRL: Fodder From a Female Football Fan

Living every week like it's Shark Week.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Random Topic Tuesday: Documentaries

I guess I've realized that I'm a closeted documentary fan. I'm not ashamed of it or anything. But I swear to f*cking god if you mock me I'll slit your throat.

With that out of the way, I just finished watching "March of the Penguins." It was enjoyable. I was more bewilderfied about how humans were able to a)tolerate the weather and b)get so close to the penguins without getting their knees pecked and their eyeballs eaten. We recently opened an exhibit about Antarctica at work (and oddly enough, a loooooooot of the press release seemed to be drawn from the movie script....hmm.....) and at the opening a woman told me emperor penguins can be as tall as 4 feet. That is pretty much as tall as Danny Devito's penguin character in "Batman Returns." The thought of those things waddling up to me, their head at my chest level....gives me the friggin willies.

As good as "March of the Penguins" was, it's not in my top five. First and foremost, many props to "Hoop Dreams" which ultimately I think started my whole fascination. Despite the fact that the movie is about 10 hours long, I think I've seen it at LEAST a dozen times. I think it came out during my days as a 7th grade basketball superphenom, which explains some of that. In a similar vein the ESPN doc from last year called "Through the Fire" about Sebastian Telfair (of the Portland Trailblazers) was pretty rad. Not in the same playing field as Hoop Dreams, but still pretty good.

(as an aside, as I type this I'm listening to the just-released-today movie soundtrack to Dreamgirls...have I mentioned I'm excited for this movie? 20 days!)

It's ironic that having said "Hoop Dreams" is my favorite, that my second fave is also a sports doc..."Spellbound." Because spelling is a sport, right? This movie + the Akeelah movie + a recent bway musical have all resulted in sort of a spelling bee heyday here in the old U-S-A. But I've been kind of a spelling bee geek for a lot more years than that. This one's a good one because the kids are so nerdy, you can't help but love 'em ("Does this sound like a musical robot"), and you get all wrapped up in the consonants of it all. HA.

Others on the top of my list: Wordplay (crosswords), Mad Hot Ballroom (ballroom dancing for NYC elementary school kids), Super Size Me (McDonalds...which subsequently made me really want McDonalds), and Word Wars (Scrabble). Netflix that shit bitches.

And just to take a moment to brag, this is where I was all morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home