HEISGIRL: Fodder From a Female Football Fan

Living every week like it's Shark Week.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Random Topic Tuesday: Rolly backpacks

Evolution has led us to this. A hundred years ago, people used to walk everywhere, carring their groceries or pulling a wagon. Along comes the car and the subway, and now we can't even carry our freaking backpacks anymore.

Seems like the rolly backpack began appearing while I was in college. APPARENTLY parents were complaining that their kids had to carry home too many books to do their homework. Their backs were sore. Boo-friggin-hoo. Maybe if you got your kid off of the couch playing video games and into some sort of physical activity, they'd have developed enough strength to carry a backpack.

Today people with rolly backpacks/briefcases are in my face all morning and all afternoon. Today a little girl got out of a minivan at her elementary school with a Harry Potter rolly backpack. I guarantee you that all that was in that bag was a box of crayons and a box of erasable pens. Why can she not carry it? Why? WHY? Pulling it along behind her she looks like a lard. Wearing it, she'd look like a little grown-up, which is always adorable.

I'm always shocked by the number of people who take these things to work. I can understand it a bit more in adults because they're old, and maybe are carrying laptops or whatever...but still, these are the people who probably read books in their room while other kids were out playing. And do you think maybe you could carry your bag on/off the metro so that you don't knock me in the f-ing legs when you're getting off the train? For chrissakes. The worst case I've ever seen of this is a dude who toodles around the Smithsonian campus with somewhat regularity. He doesnt have a rolly backpack. What he in fact has is a tote bag that he sets on dolly. A real dolly...like one that you might use for moving. Everytime I see him he's just all smiles pushing that thing around. And everytime I see him I smile back and envision watching him push that thing right off a cliff.

5 Comments:

At 12:31 AM , Anonymous PB @ BON said...

You really do love Worker3116 or whatever he's called.

 
At 12:39 AM , Blogger Steezy said...

I do love him. And while writing this I realized it was a little too much "hate this fridays" which makes me a copycat. AND I AM NOT A COPYCAT.

 
At 11:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids with rolly backpacks don't really bother me. They treat their luggage as somewhat of a novelty, as if they somehow *know* how lame they look, but Jennifer the cool girl has one, so everyone else has to have one, too.

Other than that, I hate people with rolly backpacks like I hate women wearing bright white socks and sneakers with dark suits. Just... stupid. Both groups suck and both groups have no idea how to STAND TO THE EFFING RIGHT-HAND SIDE OF THE ESCALATOR.

 
At 2:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steez, just bought your Christmas/birthday present. Enjoy!

http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/searchresult.aspx?categoryID=35

 
At 2:11 PM , Anonymous Bear said...

Steez, just bought your Christmas/birthday present. Enjoy!

http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/searchresult.aspx?categoryID=35

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home